141. CBD is Everywhere! Navigating the MNT and its Role in the Marketplace
In the past year, the prevalence of CBD products has exploded. This session explores the world of CBD – from the science to the shelf. Expert speakers will discuss the mechanism(s) of action to better understand the potential benefits and risks as well as applicability in medical nutrition therapy. Participants will learn how to navigate the world of CBD products and be able to assess for quality. This session will explore the current market of CBD, the trends on consumer needs and perception, and emerging opportunities in products and as part of the food system. Participants will leave the session with an understanding of the role of cannabidiol in health and wellness, efficacy as part of a nutrition care plan, factors that determine a quality product, and the future of this potential therapy.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Describe how CBD works in the body and categorize varying CBD formats.
- Recognize the pitfalls surrounding the evaluation of CBD products and determine which CBD products meet criteria for safety and efficacy.
- Identify consumer and market trends relating to cannabis and CBD, and insights into the future of the industries.
Learning Need Codes:
- 2010 Botanicals, dietary supplements, phytochemicals
- 5420 Complimentary care, alternative therapies (nutritional care)
- 9010 Data analysis, statistics
- 10.4.1 Collects information related to the patients use of pharmacotherapy and dietary supplements.
- 10.4.4 Makes recommendations for the appropriate use of vitamin and mineral supplementation in the management of health and disease.
- 4.2.7 Integrates relevant information with previous learning, experience, professional knowledge, and current practice models.
Zachari Breeding, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
Clinical Oncology Dietitian
Cancer Treatment Centers of America
Laura Lagano, MS, RDN, CDN
Integrative Clinical Nutritionist; Co-Founder & Education Director
Laura Lagano Nutrition; Holistic Cannabis Academy
Marie Molde, MBA, RDN
Account Manager, Registered Dietitian