120. Powerful Package of Protein – Present and Future
In this era of heightened focus on and attention to protein across the food supply chain and by the public at large, the spectrum of protein-rich choices continues to expand. Each protein source brings its own nutrient mix, marketing and consumption trends, food safety considerations, and regulatory oversight. This session will take a deep dive into today’s expanding protein environment and what the protein world of the future might bring in terms of current and potential new sources, production methods, environmental impact, regulations, and other nuances that we as nutrition professionals need to know to address the populations’ questions from farm to table and beyond.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Summarize the protein landscape and unique nutrient package of animal and plant protein food sources, present and future
- Compare the regulatory and food safety environment and considerations for animal and plant protein foods
- Describe diet modeling scenarios to determine the impact of increasing or decreasing different types of protein sources on nutrient adequacy
Learning Need Codes:
- 2070 Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- 8018 Environmental, agricultural, and technologic influences on food systems
- 2020 Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
- 7.2.6 Identifies and promotes sustainable, resilient, healthy food to staff, customers and public.
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
- 8.1.3 Integrates knowledge of macronutrients and micronutrients for absorption, digestion and metabolism throughout the life span in practice.
Mindy Hermann, MBA, RDN
Kimberly Kirchherr, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, FAND, ACSM-CPT
Health & Wellbeing Consultant
Mickey Rubin, PhD
American Egg Board’s Egg Nutrition Center
Vice President, Public Affairs
North American Meat Institute