121. Clinical Applications of Sport Supplements
Many athletes take dietary supplements in hopes of enhancing performance, and indeed, there are several evidence-based performance supplements that are considered safe, effective, and legal. There is also evidence that some of these supplements may also have health-related benefits apart from performance-enhancement. This session will inform attendees of these dual-purpose supplements with discussion about the mechanisms of action, clinical applications, drug- and nutrient-interactions and safe and effective dosing.
Planned with the Committee for Lifelong Learning
- Describe the mechanism of action for selected dietary supplements.
- Discuss the relevant side effects associated with selected dietary supplements.
- Identify potential drug-supplement interaction with selected dietary supplements.
Learning Need Codes:
- 3060 Laboratory tests
- 4060 Exercise, fitness, sports nutrition
- 3100 Supplemental nutrients, botanicals
Ellen Coleman, MPH, MA, RD, CSSD
Adam Persky, PhD
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill