152. 2019 Trailblazer Lecture: Dietetics and Food Science- A Winning Partnership for Public Health
The combination of dietetics, nutrition and food science has enormous potential to improve public health through the development and dissemination of compelling educational materials and delicious foods. This presentation will give real-life outcomes of this mutually beneficial alliance and explore both opportunities and threats for its continued success.
Planned with the Institute of Food Technologists and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Discuss ways that the combination of nutrition and food science can assist health professionals in helping consumers achieve better health
- Describe the role nutritionists (dietitians and nutrition scientists) play in helping food manufacturers develop and disseminate information about healthier foods.
- Identify sources of distrust among consumers about the food supply and think about evidence-based strategies to address them
Learning Need Codes:
- 2040 Food science, genetically modified food
- 8018 Environmental, agricultural, technologic influences on food systems
- 4040 Disease prevention, health
- 7.2.1 Applies knowledge of biological, physical or chemical properties that may cause food to be unsafe for human and animal consumption.
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
Linda Farr, RDN, CSOWM, LD, FAND
Guy Johnson, PhD
Johnson Nutrition Solutions, LLC