International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) Hands-on Workshop (Registration Required)
The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative was created with the main goal of developing a standardized way of naming and describing texture modified foods and thickened liquids for people with dysphagia across the lifespan.
United States IDDSI implementation is underway and dietetic professionals play a critical role in the implementation process.
This 4-hour, hands-on workshop will equip RDNs with the tools and resources needed to successfully implement the IDDSI framework within their facilities and the ability to effectively train staff in liquid and texture modification.
This workshop will include presentations and several breakout sessions with practical hands-on testing of thickened liquids and foods of various textures including soft & bite-sized, minced and moist and pureed. Workshop facilitators will lead post lab discussions to recap on findings.
- Evaluate various food and drink using IDDSI testing methods and audit tools.
- Experiment with recipe translation to fit common menu items into the IDDSI framework.
- Apply successful strategies and best practices to achieve a smooth transition within your facility.
Learning Need Codes:
- 8100 Food and recipe development and
- 8130 Sensory perception and evaluation
of foods and ingredients
- 5210 Dysphagia
- 6.3.9 Disseminates research or performance improvement outcomes to advance knowledge, change practice and enhance effectiveness of services.
- 11.2.1 Evaluates product characteristics, ingredients and claims in order to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- 13.2.3 Incorporates principles of food science and preparation in recipe development.
Customized Culinary Consulting, LLC
Peter Lam, RD, CFE