156. From the Court to the Kitchen: A Conversation with an NBA Dietitian
Professional athletes have evolved over time from skilled practitioners of sports to elite physical specimens who push the boundaries of human ability. In order to meet the extreme athletic demands of modern professional sports, nutrition support of professional athletes has evolved as well. Join Roberta Anding, registered dietitian for the Houston Astros, as she interviews current Philadelphia 76ers dietitian Jeanie Subach. Jeanie will reveal the experiences, challenges, and successes of her journey from internship to elite athletics, and will describe the evolution of sports nutrition. Discover the skills and competencies necessary to advance your career in the sports realm and equip athletes to succeed at the highest level.
- Identify critical skills necessary for career advancement in sports dietetics.
- Reinforce the importance of evidenced-based standards of sports nutrition practice throughout all levels of athletic performance.
- Describe key elements of modern sports nutrition for elite athletes.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1010 Career planning, Standards of
Practice, Standards of Professional
Performance, Scope of Dietetics
- 1070 Leadership, critical and strategic thinking
- 4060 Exercise, fitness, and sports
- 1.1.8 Adheres to the Standards of Professional Performance for RDNs.
- 1.2.2 Identifies the knowledge and skills required to provide service.
- 8.1.3 Integrates knowledge of macronutrients and micronutrients for absorption, digestion and metabolism throughout the life span in practice.
Nicki Barrett, RD
Roberta Anding, MS, RD, LD, CSSD, CDE
Assistant Professor, Corporate Programs
Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Jeanie Subach, EdD, MA, RD, CSSD, LDN
Assistant Professor/Sports Dietitian
West Chester University/Philadelphia 76ers