153. The Edna & Robert Langholz International Nutrition Lecture: Reflections on a Half Century of TPN and Clinical Nutrition in the Future
This session will review comprehensively the half-century odyssey of the basic development and clinical application of Total Parenteral Nutrition and its current role together with enteral and oral nutrition in providing optimal nutrition to all people under all conditions at all times. The rational, logical, step-by-step approaches to the myriad problems which had to be solved by the investigator in developing the materials, the methods, principles, techniques, and practices, which ultimately lead to success as a safe, efficacious, practical, and affordable clinical nutrition support technique, which significantly changed the way medicine is practiced, will be described and demonstrated. Finally, a brief outline of the vast opportunity for nutritional, metabolic, biochemical applications for the comprehensive approaches to management of pathophysiologic and health maintenance problems currently and in the future will be presented to challenge the expert audience to achieve their unlimited potential to serve humanity and Society.
The goal of Edna and Robert Langholz International Nutrition Award is to recognize an individual for his or her outstanding contribution in the field of nutrition and to help increase the stature and image of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and its individual dietitian members, not only in the United States but throughout the world. This award is considered the highest honor bestowed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. A special thanks to the Langholz family for their support of this award.
- Summarize the development, advancement, and clinical applications of Total Parenteral Nutrition since its inception 50 years ago and see some examples of its success in providing adequate nutritional support to critically ill patients.
- Identify the many problems, impediments, obstacles, deficiencies, and prejudices that had to be overcome and/or solved in order to achieve safe, effective, efficacious, practical Total Parenteral Nutrition, initially in the basic laboratories and then in pediatric and adult clinical situations and settings.
- Describe the vast and virtually unlimited challenges, opportunities, and potential for the countless, effective uses of scientifically derived and appropriately applied nutritional supports and therapies, which greatly enhance our ability to maintain and promote optimal health and function, growth and development, prevention and treatment of disease and disorders, increase longevity, and optimize quality of life.
Learning Need Codes:
- 5440 Enteral and parenteral nutrition support
- 2070 Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- 2100 Nutritional biochemistry
Mary Russell, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Stanley Dudrick, MD
Professor of Surgery
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine