Diabetes Reversal from Plant-Based Eating: Reality or Fallacy?
This presentation will address the science and definitions behind the frequently-referenced terms of ‘remission,’ ‘reversible,’ or ‘curable’ diabetes. Plant-based eating patterns will be discussed as they relate to the microbiome and nutritional factors affecting insulin resistance and beta cell function of people diagnosed with diabetes. Short video vignettes will be weaved into this presentation from patients with diabetes who are following a plant-based plan. Information presented will equip registered dietitians with talking tracks for diabetes management.
- discuss the research on diabetes remission and the implications for clinical practice.
- describe the nutritional factors involved in insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction.
- provide counseling to patients with diabetes on an evidence-based plant-based eating plan.
- 6.2.5 Applies research/evidence-based findings to
improve practice, service delivery, and health and
nutrition of customers.
- 8.1.5 Applies medical nutrition therapy in disease
prevention and management.
- 9.6.5 In collaboration with the customer, develops
counseling or coaching goals.
Toby Smithson, MS, RDN, LD, CDCES
Diabetes Lifestyle Expert
Diabetes Every Day
Meghan Jardine, MS, MBA, RDN, LD, CDE
Associate Director of Diabetes Nutrition Education