Facilitating MNT Access for Patients with Non-Dialysis Dependent Chronic Kidney Disease
Nutrition management can slow chronic kidney disease (CKD) progression and delay or prevent end-stage renal disease, but only 10% of patients with CKD receive any medical nutrition therapy (MNT) before initiating dialysis. The National Kidney Foundation and the Academy’s Nutrition Research Network collaborated to identify factors that influence timely access to nutrition care for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD. Session speakers will present findings from over 400 survey responses from RDNs, nephrologists, and patients about their knowledge, awareness, and attitudes regarding access to MNT for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD. Participants will learn about barriers and facilitators to accessing MNT for this high-need population and discuss important implications for practice, including billing and coding issues that can impact reimbursement opportunities. Speakers will synthesize survey results from CKD stakeholders to empower RDNs to improve nutrition care for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD through creative strategies that can expand access to MNT for these patients and enhance reimbursement potential.
- Explain factors that influence timely access to MNT for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD
- Identify at least three strategies that practitioners can use to overcome perceived barriers to MNT access for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD
- Apply knowledge of coding and billing to improve public and private reimbursement of MNT services for patients with non-dialysis dependent CKD
- 2.2.1 Identifies the need for and negotiates
common ground with customers, interprofessional
team members and other stakeholders.
- 3.3.3 Collaborates with customers and others to
support access to services.
- 12.1.1 Promotes nutrition programs and resources
to address issues of food security, nutritional health
and overall health and wellness.
Marsha Schofield, MS, RD, LD, FAND
Senior Director, Governance and Nutrition Services Coverage
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Holly Kramer, MD, MPH
Loyola University Chicago; National Kidney Foundation Board President
Carolyn Cochran, MS, RDN, LD, CDE
Senior Clinical Dietitian
Dallas Nephrology Associates