Building a Better Case: Negotiation Tactics to Expand MNT Access
Building a successful business case for coverage and payment of evidence-based, RDN-provided medical nutrition therapy (MNT) with insurance companies and employers only makes sense when they are bearing the costly burden of diet-related chronic disease. In addition, diet-related chronic conditions are contributing to severe COVID-19 outcomes. With neither MNT benefits nor a designation of RDNs as credentialed, preferred in-network providers, a prescription for medical nutrition therapy by physicians goes unfilled or unwritten.
In this session you will hear how perseverance and collaboration led to the largest insurance provider in the state of Alabama agreeing to create a Registered Dietitian Provider Network in January 2020. Using lessons learned and step-by-step actions taken for successful negotiations with BCBS of Alabama, you will be able to formulate a plan to reduce gaps in patient access to MNT, and build the case for the integrating the RDN into ambulatory care.
- Identify gaps and barriers in patient access to medical nutrition therapy (MNT) and diabetes self-management education (DSME) in their state or region.
- Describe the advantages of tracking outcomes in demonstrating efficacy and value of the RDN in the provision of MNT services.
- Develop a business action plan to negotiate with health insurance companies the provision of MNT benefits in healthcare plans by credentialed in-network RDNs.
- 12.4.1 Implements programs and/or interventions while adhering to public health policies and standards.
- 2.2.1 Identifies the need for and negotiates common ground with customers, interprofessional team members and other stakeholders.
- 3.3.5 Advocates for public health and wellness within the context of the organization and community.
Jennifer Thompson, MS, RD, LD
Medical Nutrition Therapist
Amie Hardin, MS, RD, LD, CDCES
Director-East Alabama Medical Center
Alabama Dietetic Association
Susan Scott, MS, RDN, LD
President and CVO
SCS Nutrition Consulting, LLC
Laura Watson, CDCES, RDN, MPH
Huntsville Hospital Diabetes Control Center