Black Dietitians Matter: Addressing Inequities and Exploring Strategies for Increasing Blacks in Nutrition and Dietetics
Historically, low rates of black registered dietitian nutritionists have been recorded in the nutrition and dietetics field, with the number of reporting RDNs who identify as black remaining under 3 percent. In addition, over the past decade, there has been a 58% decrease in blacks admitted to dietetic internships. This session’s distinguished panelists will engage in a high-level discussion concerning the history of blacks in the nutrition and dietetics field, the systemic barriers and challenges that have hindered them from entering the field, and strategies to increase the number of black dietitians in the future. Participants will hear powerful stories of perseverance and learn how to both advocate and create opportunities for historically underserved populations, in the process becoming allies and equity–minded practitioners who call attention to patterns of inequity in the profession.
- Explain at least three facts regarding inequities, race-based microaggressions, or issues related to systemic racism experienced by blacks while completing their dietetics career paths and its impact on rates of black RDNs in the field of dietetics.
- Describe three strategies for increasing rates of black RDNs in the field of dietetics.
- List ways to become advocates for the implementation of new approaches that will increase dietitians of color and diversify the field of dietetics.
- 1.3.7 Recognizes the limits of own cultural knowledge, skill and abilities and consults with others when needed.
- 3.1.2 Fosters a culture in which diversity and cross-team collaboration are valued.
- 3.2.1 Advocates for, and participates in, activities that support advancement of the profession.
Denine Rogers, MS, RDN, LD, FAND
Past Chair, NOBIDAN
Living Health – Wellness Food and Nutritional Lifestyle Management Consultant
Evelyn Crayton, EdD, RDN, LDN, FAND
Living Well Associates, LLC
RONIECE Weaver, MS, RD, LD
CO- FOUNDER, DIRECTOR OF AGENCY OPERATIONS
HEBNI NUTRITION CONSULTANTS, INC
Jill White, EdD, RD, LDN