The Right Recipe: Impacting Health, Addressing Disparities and Getting Paid
Recognition of the impact of social risk factors on health status and outcomes coupled with value-based payments have created momentum and revenue streams for RDNs to provide MNT and services that address social determinants of health. How can RDNs foster collaboration around innovative, data-driven programs designed to effectively address unmet needs that influence health? Speakers will review the healthcare landscape and share effective strategies to inform design and implementation strategies for programs that serve chronically ill underserved populations, including ways to sell programs to payers through metrics and outcomes. Medicaid programs addressing health disparities in chronically ill populations by combining MNT and food access will be highlighted. An RDN-designed shelf-stable meals program successful in reducing hospital readmissions patients with malnutrition will be shared, and payment streams that support the programs for Special Supplemental Benefits for Chronically Ill under Medicare Advantage will be identified.
- Explain the value of using metrics and outcomes in developing innovative healthcare programs with payment streams that fund/support RDN inclusion.
- Identify coding and payment opportunities that support RDN involvement in programs that effectively address unmet needs for target populations by addressing food access and providing MNT services, including Special Supplemental Benefits for Chronically Ill under Medicare Advantage.
- Cite two innovative programs designed to positively impact health outcomes and reduce healthcare cost in targeted populations that support payment for RDN services.
- 8.2.2 Applies knowledge of health determinants when planning, developing and implementing services, programs, meal plans and menus.
- 3.2.5 Educates the employer and the public on the role and the benefits of receiving care or services from an RDN and NDTR.
- 14.2.6 Applies knowledge of payment and reimbursement models.
Kim Iles, MS, RD, LDN
Owner and Co-Founder
New Leaf Nutrition Counseling
Livleen Gill, MBA, RD, LDN
President & CEO
Bethesda Newtrition & Wellness Solutions
Anand Parekh, MD, MPH
Chief Medical Advisor
Bipartisan Policy Center