Nourishing Our Communities Through A Pandemic: Stories Of Resilience From The Front Lines
Food access and overall nutrition care are components of the social determinants of health (SDoH) that contribute to the well-being of a community. However, the current pandemic has demonstrated that broad disparities exist for many, which must be addressed to achieve optimal health. Through collaborative multidisciplinary partnerships, registered dietitian nutritionists have emerged as critical and essential forces to address the SDoH and bridge health equity gaps exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. In this session, attendees will hear from representatives of Member Interest Groups of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to learn how those on the front lines of care are nourishing communities through these partnerships. Using storytelling aimed at highlighting nutrition and access to food as critical components of the SDoH, audience members will be empowered to advocate for health equity through inspiring demonstrations of resilience during a defining time in the dietetic profession.
- Identify at least three critical components of the social determinants of health affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Describe at least four examples of collaborative partnerships fostered by registered dietitians that can optimize access to nutrition care.
- Explain two resources used to address nutrition and access to food as critical components of the social determinants of health from stories of resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 12.1.3 Collaborates with community partners and stakeholders in promoting nutritional health and disease prevention.
- 3.2.1 Advocates for, and participates in, activities that support advancement of the profession.
- 8.2.2 Applies knowledge of health determinants when planning, developing and implementing services, programs, meal plans and menus.
Dylan Bailey, MS, RD
Senior Nutrition Specialist
Mudita Arora, MSc, MS, RDN, LD
Clinical Nutrition Manager III & Clinical Nutrition Lead
Sodexo at HCA HealthCare
Alison Brown, PhD, MS
National Institutes of Health
Janice Hey Yin Chow, MS, RD
Founder & Dietitian
The Mindful Chow
Andie Lee Gonzalez, PhD, MPH, RDN, LD, FAND
Nutrition Services Medical Sales Representative
Andrea Hinojosa, MS, RDN, LDN, CLC, CET
Registered Dietitian, Outreach Coordinator
Near North Health Service Corporation, WIC Department
Mary Angela Niester, MPH, RD
St. Joseph Mercy Health System/ Trinity Health