Dietetics and Law: A Fireside Chat with Dietitians and RDN Juris Doctorates
Laws and legal proceedings impact RDN practice and careers in many ways. RDNs who have also earned their Juris Doctorate degree are better equipped to serve as expert witnesses, advocate for strong licensure laws, and impact regulatory structures. In this robust panel discussion, hear from various RDN Juris Doctorate colleagues to discover how to expand your career and strengthen your advocacy of dietetics.
Planned with the Academy’s Consumer Protection and Licensure Subcommittee
- Articulate the skills an RDN will need to cultivate in order to serve as an expert witness in a court proceeding
- Assess the impact of weak nutrition/dietetics licensure laws in order to advocate for strong licensure laws across the United States
- Examine how RDNs with Juris Doctorates combine legal and dietetics expertise in governmental regulatory settings to impact nutrition policy and laws
- 3.2.8 Challenges, encourages and supports others to take action to advance the profession.
- 3.2.3 Interprets legal terminology used to establish nutrition regulations and policies to support knowledge translation.
- 4.1.1 Demonstrates effective problem solving and professional judgment to address needs.
New Mexico State University