Plant-Based Nutrition: A Potent (and Timely) Tool to Tackle Chronic Disease
How do you promote nutritional intervention that combines healthful benefits with preventative effects against chronic diseases that American adults encounter – conditions like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, cancer, obesity, and chronic kidney disease – while maintaining patient quality of life allowing patients the autonomy for decision-making? During this dual lecture and panel discussion style presentation with two plant-based dietitians, RDN and MD team members will analyze the increasingly growing literature of plant-based nutrition and its role in the prevention of chronic diseases; demonstrate how a plant-based approach is utilized in a disease such as chronic kidney disease, which is directly impacted by diabetes and hypertension; and examine where healthcare providers struggle with potassium homeostasis and strategize using a patient-centered approach to incorporate change.
Planned with the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group
- Evaluate and interpret the currently available evidence on plant-based eating patterns for the prevention and treatment of nutrition-related chronic diseases
- Implement plant-based nutrition to make the greatest dietary impact on chronic disease status while optimizing biochemical parameters and quality of life
- Strategize the use of change management using quality resources that amplify patient education and adherence during medical nutrition therapy while expanding competencies
- 4.1.2 Interprets and integrates evidence-based research and literature in decision-making.
- 6.2.3 Analyzes and interprets data to form valid conclusions and to make recommendations.
- 9.6.2 Applies a variety of counseling theories, psychological methods and strategies that empower clients/patients to make changes.
Corporate & Plant Promote Dietitian
Nutrition Directions LLC
Nephrologist/Clinical Asst Professor
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Executive Director, Nutrition & Lifestyle Medicine
NYC Health + Hospitals
Registered Dietitian, Plant-Based Lifestyle Medicine Program
NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue