2022 Wimpfheimer-Guggenheim International Lecture: The Role of the Dietetics Profession in Global Nutrition, Food, and Health
This session will discuss the importance of global collaboration among the dietetics community to help advance the dietetics profession, expand the dietetics workforce, and increase access to nutrition care by qualified nutrition experts. Susan Borra, RD, past Academy President (2001-2002) will share insights and key events that set the stage 20 years ago for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ increased focus on global work as well as important efforts over the last two decades that have resulted in partnerships and efforts that have positively affected the dietetics profession worldwide. Lauri Wright, PhD, RDN, LD, FAND, Academy President-Elect will share insight on the Academy’s current global efforts as well as examples of important programs currently underway, including countries that are establishing and expanding their own dietetics professions. Additionally, hear from member leaders working in research, policy, and professional education around the world, including in Central America, Asia, and Africa, and learn how individual dietitians can get involved in working globally.
- Describe how the profession of dietetics has evolved globally.
- Explain how international collaboration among the dietetics community helps advance global nutrition and health.
- Identify potential challenges and opportunities of international collaborations with the goal to expand the dietetics workforce and access to nutrition care.
- 12.3.4 Collaborates with community partners to design programs.
- 12.1.1 Advocates for and promotes food and nutrition programs and resources to address issues of food insecurity, nutritional health and overall health and wellness.
- 3.2.8 Challenges, encourages and supports others to take action to advance the profession.
New York University
Former (retired) Chief Health and Wellness Officer/Former (retired) Executive Director
FMI – The Food Industry Association and FMI Foundation
Chair of the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Director of the Center for Nutrition and Food Security, and Co-Director of the Doctorate in Clinical Nutrition Program; President-Elect
University of North Florida; Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics