Up Close and Personal: A Wide-Ranging Conversation with Former FDA Commissioner, David Kessler, MD
From regulating the marketing and sale of tobacco products to children, to preventive controls to improve food safety, modernizing the Nutrition Facts label used by food and nutrition professionals every day to educate consumers, and more, David Kessler, MD, played a leading role as FDA Commissioner 1990-1997. Today, Dr. Kessler continues his exemplary public service as the Chief Science Officer for Covid Response for President Biden. Join us for a wide-ranging conversation with Dr. Kessler as he receives the Academy Foundation’s highest honor, The Edna and Robert Langholz International Nutrition Award. The award will recognize Dr. Kessler’s outstanding contribution to the field of nutrition and efforts to increase the stature of the Academy and its members globally. Our conversation will cover topics from the impact of the Nutrition Facts label on nutrition and health, to the role of nutrition in the Covid-19 pandemic, the value nutrition and food and nutrition professionals on disease prevention, the role of technology in healthcare, Dr. Kessler’s pearls of wisdom to food and nutrition professionals, and much more. We’ll also take questions from session attendees.
The Edna & Robert Langholz International Nutrition Award is the Academy Foundation’s most prestigious award. The goal of the award is to recognize an individual for his or her outstanding contribution to the field of nutrition and to help increase the stature and image of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and its individual dietitian members, not only in the United States but throughout the world.
- Detail the role nutrition plays and can play over time in the prevention and management of the Covid-19 pandemic
- Describe the rationale for the modern Nutrition Facts label and how it could be further improved upon to improve the nutrition and health of the U.S. public
- Identify three ways you can enhance your career and in turn improve the nutrition and health of the public
- 12.1.1 Advocates for and promotes food and nutrition programs and resources to address issues of food insecurity, nutritional health and overall health and wellness.
- 12.1.2 Leads or participates in the development of food and health policies.
- 3.2.8 Challenges, encourages and supports others to take action to advance the profession.