248. Teaming Up: Tailoring Nutrition to Optimize Youth Athletic Performance
All growing teenagers need enough nourishment for proper growth, development and health; youth athletes simply need more. The additional nutrition that is recommended for young athletes should specifically support the training plan of the athlete, yet many dietitians are not familiar with current developmental training models. In this presentation, a strength and conditioning coach and a dietitian team up to present how to tailor the nutrition plan to the training plan. The session will start with Jeremy Hoy, a strength and conditioning coach, sharing the developmental training models being implemented by organizations, such as USA Hockey, to match physical maturation stages with physical literacies and skills. It will be followed by Heather Mangieri, a registered dietitian, sharing strategies on how to tailor the nutrition plan to specifically support that training, while still considering the physical, psychological, emotional and social needs of developing athletes.
- Discuss the current training model being used by U.S.A. Hockey to develop young athletes.
- Tailor their interviews, counseling styles and sports nutrition plans to meet the developmental age and unique training plan of young athletes.
- Share proven, practical pointers for breaking down the barriers and challenges youth athletes face in putting a sports nutrition plan into practice.
Learning Need Codes:
- 3020 – Assessment of target groups, populations
- 4060 – Exercise, fitness, sports nutrition
- 4160 – Adolescence (stages of life cycle)
- 8.1.4 Demonstrates knowledge of nutrient requirements throughout the life span and their role in health promotion and disease management.
- 8.2.4 Imparts knowledge of the importance of physical activity and applies behavior change principles to promote physical activity and decrease inactivity.
- 9.4.5 Implements an individualized teaching plan in order to promote, maintain and enhance nutritional health and learning.
Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Jill Castle Nutrition LLC
Heather Mangieri, MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN
Food, Fitness and Nutrition Consultant, Author, Spokesperson
Heather Mangieri Nutrition, LLC