265. The Journey to TEDx: From Expert Speaker to Inspirational Thought Leader
To successfully drive our profession into the next century, dietitians need to be thought-provoking professionals who connect with people and inspire change. In today’s over-crowded and competitive nutrition market, being the “expert” isn’t enough to lead audience transformation. In this session, participants will discover their voice, sharpen their message, and learn clever tips to build stage confidence. Jill and Clancy will demonstrate how dietitians can master the TED speaking style to engage, inspire and transform audiences. Participants will learn how to infuse story, statistics and evidence, create their “idea worth spreading,” and be able to create, pitch, and perform their thought leadership talk.
- Utilize research strategies to identify relevant speaking venues and apply pitch strategies to acquire speaking engagements that showcase thought leadership and grow business.
- Apply an effective talk structure and learn how to fuse real-life experiences and stories with evidence-based statistics to lead audience transformation.
- Identify strategies to boost speaker confidence and learn how to command the attention of the audience.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1130 – Verbal communication skills, presentations
- 1070 – Leadership, critical and strategic thinking
- 1140 – Written communication skills, publishing
- 2.1.3 Tailors message to meet the needs of the target audience.
- 2.1.8 Delivers accurate and credible messaging.
- 3.1.6 Takes an active role in sharing information and knowledge.
Donna Martin, RDN, LD, SNS, EdS, FAND
Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Pediatric Dietitian/Nutritionist, Author, Speaker, Consultant
Jill Castle Nutrition LLC
Clancy Harrison, MS, RDN, FAND
Author, Speaker, Advocate
Healthy Living Lifestyle