304. Influencing Leadership and Inspiring Change at Every Career Stage
RDNs and NDTRs help people meet nutrition-related goals through medical nutrition therapy and population health efforts. There are many opportunities for practitioners to become thought leaders and help advance the profession in both formal and informal roles. Involvement within the Academy and other nutrition related organizations can amplify the contributions of nutrition practitioners, expand workforce capacity, contribute to research and quality improvement literature, and impact nutrition-related legislation. Such participation promotes professional growth, relationship building, and communication skills, and creates a network to share solutions for health outcomes.
Leadership opportunities exist at all levels—from the new graduate to the experienced clinician. Speakers will share how they utilized career opportunities as springboards to grow leadership skills and advance nutrition practice. They will inspire audience members to solve food and nutrition challenges and lead change management in the healthcare industry.
Award Presentation:Excellence in Practice – Clinical Practice Award – Caroline Steele, MS, RD, CSP, IBCLC, FAND
- Amplify their own contribution to the nutrition and dietetics profession through publications, media, or leadership positions.
- Propose and facilitate practice change within a work setting, even as a non-management practitioner.
- Describe how those in nutrition management can encourage and support their employees to pursue career opportunities.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1070 Leadership, critical and strategic thinking
- 1130 Verbal communication skills, presentations
- 1110 Risk taking
- 14.3.5 Identifies and anticipates risks related to the project and/or organization.
- 2.1.8 Delivers accurate and credible messaging.
- 3.1.3 Takes initiative to facilitate change.
Gisele Leger, MS, RDN, LDN, CNSC, FAND
National Director, Clinical Nutrition
Caroline Steele, MS, RD, CSP, IBCLC, FAND
Director, Clinical Nutrition & Lactation
Children’s Hospital of Orange County
Wendy Phillips, MS RD CNSC CLE NWCC FAND
Division Director of Clinical Nutrition