240. Diversifying Our Practice and Our Plates
The need for diversity in our dietetics practice is on the rise, especially as the clients we serve are from varying cultural and ethnic backgrounds. This presentation will dive into what it takes to ensure registered dietitian nutritionists and health professionals are doing their due diligence when it comes to providing culturally relevant food and nutrition recommendations for their clients. The presenters are comprised of a registered dietitian nutritionist who has written and spoken about cultural sensitivity in nutrition practice as well as a registered dietitian nutritionist and professionally trained chef who incorporates inclusive culinary nutrition foodways. Their combined backgrounds will ensure a riveting discussion on what it takes to break down the barriers when it comes to making sure we honor cultural traditions while providing the latest data to support these findings.
Award Presentation: Excellence in Practice – Diversity Promotion – Tamara S. Melton, MS, RDN, LD, CPHIMS
LEARNING NEED CODES:
1040 Cultural sensitivity
8015 Cultural/ethnic food & culinary practice
9010 Data analysis, statistics
1.3.9 Recognizes and incorporates knowledge of cultural and/or religious foods, practices and preparation.
13.2.7 Modifies recipes and menus that accommodate diverse health, economic and cultural needs in order to achieve nutritional goals and requirements.
6.2.3 Interprets data to make recommendations and to inform decisions.
- Provide culturally sensitive and appropriate food and nutrition recommendations for clients.
- Determine acceptable cultural ingredient swaps based on regional availability.
- Utilize census data to ascertain regional ethnic population needs.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1040 Cultural sensitivity
- 8015 Cultural/ethnic food & culinary practice
- 9010 Data analysis, statistics
- 1.3.9 Recognizes and incorporates knowledge of cultural and/or religious foods, practices and preparation.
- 13.2.7 Modifies recipes and menus that accommodate diverse health, economic and cultural needs in order to achieve nutritional goals and requirements.
- 6.2.3 Interprets data to make recommendations and to inform decisions.
Cordialis Msora-Kasago, MA, RD
The African Pot Nutrition
Tessa Nguyen, RD, LDN
Founder and Principal
Taste Nutrition Consulting
Tamara Melton, MS, RDN, CPHIMS
Co-Founder and Executive Director
Diversify Dietetics, Inc.