323. Advancing the Profession in Real Time: An Interactive Preview of Academy Research Priorities
Have you ever wished RDNs – as a professional entity – knew more about a given area of practice, or felt there was a lack of research in a specific area? Session presenters from the Academy’s Research Priorities and Strategies Development Task Force will explain why these priorities should matter to ALL Academy members. They will provide attendees a sneak peek at the revised priorities and use interactive audience-engagement technologies to get feedback from attendees on the priority-setting process and on the drafted priorities in real time. Attendees will also be given an example of how research priorities are established at the federal agency level by discussing the Strategic Plan for NIH Nutrition Research, Process, and Prioritization. The session will end with a discussion of actionable strategies that any attendee can use to help generate knowledge for the profession through their work and studies and advance their own career in the process.
Award Presentation: Excellence in Practice – Dietetic Research Award – Susan E. Steck, PhD, MPH, RD, FAND
- Describe how the Academy research priorities impact all RDs, NDTR, RDs-in-training, and the future of our profession.
- Explain how the Academy research priorities were developed and provide feedback for future versions.
- Outline how they can help to generate knowledge for the profession through their work and studies.
Learning Need Codes:
- 1070 Leadership, critical and strategic thinking
- 7180 Strategic planning
- 9060 Research development and design
- 3.2.1 Advocates for, and participates in, activities that support advancement of the profession.
- 4.1.3 Aligns work with organization policies, strategic plan and mission statement.
- 6.3.4 Defines and establishes appropriate measurements and evaluations.
Kevin Sauer, PhD, RDN, LD, FAND
Kansas State University
Nancy Emenaker, PhD, RDN, LD, FAND
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute
Jennifer Garner, PhD, RD
The Ohio State University