210. Medical Nutrition Therapy in Diabetes: A Review of the New Consensus Report by the American Diabetes Association
Despite existing evidence regarding medical nutrition therapy (MNT) practice for people with diabetes, there continues to be confusion in the nutrition community regarding issues such as adequate carbohydrate intake for brain function, benefits of chromium, net carbs, and more. This session, planned with the Diabetes Care and Education Dietetic Practice Group, will review the major topics covered in the new 2019 American Diabetes Association (ADA) nutrition consensus report, including updated evidence and practice guidelines incorporated into the ADA Living Standards of Care. While the session will highlight key findings from the report, each speaker will draw from their diverse experiences and practice settings to provide interactive case studies to emphasize real-world impact. Every recommendation presented will be followed by relatable scenarios to provide attendees with an opportunity to brainstorm and discuss strategies for practical application.
- Describe key messages for people with diabetes based on the consensus committee’s evidence review.
- Apply current nutrition-related evidence in clinical practice.
- Explain the major changes in nutrition guidance from ADA and describe how to address changes to nutrition guidance in real life settings.
Learning Need Codes:
- 5190 Diabetes mellitus (disease/disorder)
- 9020 Evaluation and application of research
- 5410 Client protocols, clinical guidelines (nutritional care)
- 1.2.2 Identifies the knowledge and skills required to provide service.
- 6.1.9 Interprets data to formulate judgments, conclusions and reports.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
Constance Brown-Riggs, MSEd, RDN, CDE, CDN
Diabetes Care and Education DPG
Alison Evert, MS, RD, CDE
Manager, Nutrition and Diabetes Programs
UW Medicine – Neighborhood Clinics
Gretchen Yousef, MS, RD, CDE
MedStar Diabetes Institute, MedStar Health
Shamera Robinson, MPH, RDN
Associate Director, Nutrition
American Diabetes Association