167. Craft Beers: History and Sustainability in Healthy Kitchens
Craft beer is now a leading force in the beer industry, attracting artisans and cooks to the art and science of home brewing. With diverse sensory qualities grounded in history, this flourishing craft is anchored in ecology, community and sustainability. Beer goes beyond drinking, and represents new opportunities to create innovative recipes and meals, inspire cooking, develop collaborative relationships and build healthy communities. Understanding the historical evolution and sensory qualities of beer to enhance recipes, complement meals and cultivate sustainability is critical for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists seeking to bridge the brewing mega-trend with their current dietetic practice. A virtual culinary demonstration will spotlight beer’s role in healthy cooking techniques and recipes.
- Develop innovative flavor profiles in everyday dishes by using beer as an ingredient to enhance healthful cooking techniques and recipes that will inspire home cooking.
- Describe beer categories and styles, while applying their sensory qualities to complement healthful recipes and finished meals.
- Build cultural competence by bridging the brewing mega-trend with dietetic practice through beer’s historical, sensory, sustainable and culinary contributions, support of the environment, and development of healthy communities and collaborative relationships.
Learning Need Codes:
- 8130 Sensory perception and evaluation of foods and ingredients
- 8018 Environmental, agricultural &
technologic influences on food systems
- 8100 Recipe and food development
- 13.2.3 Incorporates principles of food science and preparation in recipe development.
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
- 8.4.2 Develops and/or modifies recipes, menus and meals using sensory perceptions and other food components.
Elizabeth Weiss, MS, RDN
Liz’s Healthy Table
Libby Mills, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
Dig In Eat Up
Joy Dubost, PhD RD
Dubost Food & Nutrition Solutions, LLC