390. Bringing the Farm to Your Facility with Harvest of the Month
“Harvest of the Month” is an initiative utilized by schools, hospitals and public health programs to encourage increased fruit and vegetable intake. The focus is on impacting the nutrition status and well-being of participants.Learn new strategies to enhance your Harvest of the Month efforts from an executive chef at a major medical center and an RDN at a rural hospital who participates in a community coalition. Tips for working with community coalitions, incorporating farm-to-facility choices, branding your program and developing recipe videos will be included. Presenters will share impact evaluations of Harvest of the Month initiatives. Ready-to-go materials for launching your own year-long program will be provided.
- Incorporate farm-to-facility programs at local institutions.
- Detail benefits of Harvest of the Month programming for customers and communities.
- Employ the ready-to-go plan for a year-long Harvest of the Month program.
Learning Need Codes:
- 8100 Recipe and food development
- 8070 Food production, purchasing
- 1090 Media skills
- 11.2.9 Considers audience and adjusts messaging and delivery method accordingly.
- 13.2.3 Incorporates principles of food science and preparation in recipe development.
- 8.4.3 Uses a variety of cooking techniques, food preparation and production and delivery systems.
Donna Martin, EdS, RDN, LD, SNS, FAND
School Nutrition Director
Burke County Public Schools
Ruth Chipps, MS, RDN, CD
Black River Memorial Hospital
Ellen Ritter, CDM
UW Health – Madison , WI